Parent-teacher conferences provide a great opportunity for you to talk with your child’s teacher about what your child is learning at school and how you can support this learning at home.
Visit schools.nyc.gov/ParentsFamilies for parent-teacher conference resources.
At the conference, ask questions, such as:
- What do you see as my child’s strengths?
- Areas for growth?
- Is my child on track to meet grade level standards by the end of the year?
- What is my child expected to learn, know, and do at this grade level? How will my child be assessed?
- Does my child show commitment to school?
- What should my child do at home to support what is taking place in the classroom? How can I support my child’s learning at home?
During the school year, stay engaged with your child, by asking such questions as:
- What are you studying? I don’t know much about that; can you help me understand?
- When is your next test? How are you preparing for it?