Class Parent Committee
Chair: Dana Abraham, email@example.com
Our Mission Statement:
When a teacher has support, s/he is able to do a better job for her/his students. This support is what the Class Parent Committee is committed to providing throughout the school year. We are called upon to make things happen in the classroom, whether it’s raising money, rallying volunteers for a field trip, or assisting in a cooking class. Expectations of the job include, but are not limited to:
- Support school wide fundraising activities, as covered in detail at Class Parent Committee meetings.
- Disseminate information to parents regarding the broader context of public education, e.g. how proposed funding changes, new initiatives, budget proposals, etc., may impact our classrooms, as well as inform parents of relevant meetings, petitions, etc.
- Organize classroom celebrations upon teacher request (via sign-up, email or phone calls for food contributions etc.)
- Help to insure the teacher has enough chaperones for a class trip or swimming date (via sign-up, email, or phone calls if the teacher needs support).
- Organize (or identify a point person within the class to organize) the class art project for The Auction.
- Organize for the yearbook photo page.
- Attend the required class parent meetings at 8:30am monthly and disseminate important information to the class and teacher via email.
- Collect funds for class based gifts or incidental purchases that are not provided by PTA funds, such as teacher holiday, year-end gifts, or materials needed on short notice.
- Support the teacher in all other classroom matters, as requested.
There can be more than one class parent per class; in fact, it is a good idea to have more than one so the work can be divided. In addition, we need parents who attend specific events, such as cooking projects or field trips to provide extra support for the class.
If you think you’d be interested in being a class parent, please reach out to your child’s teacher within the first two or three weeks of the term. Once s/he gets to know the parents who have expressed interest, s/he will make a determination as to who will be best able to provide the necessary assistance.
Class Parent Committee-Chair
Class Parents Meeting Notes
Great seeing you this morning at the class parent meeting. The following are notes from this morning’s meeting (11/15) for your review as class parents. Please do not
distribute these to your classes.
- Members of the SLT and Lisa met with DOE regarding rezoning proposal
- PS3 will agree to the rezone proposal IF DOE agrees to PS3 being a zone plus choice
- This allows PS3 to preserve its integrity and identity as an arts-based school
- IMPORTANT- Parents from PS3 are being asked to attend the CECD2 committee hearing at PS41 Monday, November 19th at 6:30PM
- Next PAC Meeting on Thursday, November 28th at 8:30am in Room 408
Square Dance and Arts Committee (Susan/Amy)
- Proceeds going to Hurricane Sandy relief fund
- Still in need of volunteers (set up begins at 5:30pm)- if available email Susan at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kids can wear their Halloween costumes
- Arts committee will have tables set up for kids to make Thanksgiving turkeys; 4th and 5th graders will be selling pins, jewelry, etc. to raise funds for the Frost Valley trip
- Need to ramp up direct appeal to donate to the PA
- send email with talking points to parents (please see attached letter and pdf file)
- explain how funds are distributed and why important
- have dialogue with parents on a regular basis
- Currently at 15% participation, goal is 100% participation
- Important to raise as much as possible first half of year, so that monies can be allotted to upcoming programs
Green Committee (Anna)
- Please ask parents to provide their children with a reusable water bottle for lunch
- Currently using over 200 cups a day – little ones often spill water, which creates safety hazard in the lunchroom
- Next meeting Monday, November 19th at 2:00PM in Room 408
Book Drive (Sandra/Joanna)
- Pairing up with Urban Librarian United to collect gently used and/or new children’s books to replenish libraries destroyed by Hurricane Sandy
- Be on the look out for more information
School Pictures (Karen)
- Deadline to order pictures may be extended past Monday, November 19th
- Retake picture day is Thursday, November 28th at 8:30am in auditorium
- Volunteers needed
- Parents should let their teachers know that their child is retaking picture and he/she should be sent to the auditorium
Lunch/Recess Committee (Karen)
- Volunteers are needed during 2/3 class lunch and recess to help support the children – this can include parent volunteers who come from other grades
- Please direct any concerns during lunch/recess to Kate
Parent Coordinator (Terry)
- New telephone number 646-634-8594
- Terry’s position is as a liaison between parents and administration – please feel free to contact her with your concerns
- Chess program to begin during lunch/recess
- Children signed up with their teachers
In an effort to create greater efficiency for our meetings, please note going forward each speaker will be given 5 minutes per topic, unless the issue is pressing and needs a little extra time. Thanks to the great suggestion of two class parents, to better streamline emails, we ask that you forward any information to us by Wednesdays at noon to be compiled and distributed by Fridays. We will continue to forward any time sensitive emails as needed.
Thank you for your participation and look forward to seeing you all at the next class parent meeting.
Allison and Dana
|· Introduction and Welcome
o Overview of class parent responsibilities
· Picture Day
o Thursday, October 4
o New vendor (Stomping Ground), no pre order forms
o One all day volunteer needed
· Meeting with Lisa
o Friday, October 5 in the library (3rd Floor)
o Email classes
o All questions should be submitted by Wednesday, October 3
· Parent Teacher Pot Luck
o Friday, October 12 from 6-8pm in the auditorium
o Adults only – all class parents please participate
o Reach out to individual classes to bring items (appetizers, drinks, desserts, etc.)
· Arts Committee
o Auction will be March 8, can start to brainstorm ideas for class art project
· Health and Wellness Committee
o Square Dance is Friday, November 16
· Web Communication
o Class list and how to access it
o If you need your class password, please contact Dana or Allison
o Meeting on Monday, October 1
o Volunteering goes a long way in ensuring the children eat their meal and are engaged at recess
· Brownies (Dinine)
o For second graders only-few spots open
o Snack sign up for classes in need (20 children total, there is a nut allergy)
- School wide mailing to go out first week of October
- Class parents to help motivate classes to donate
- Goal is 100% participation
· PS 3-6
o Email Maria with any questions